Creatine in the human body
Creatine naturally occurs in the body and is present in every human cell.
Due to its essential role in storing and transporting energy in EVERY cell (muscles, brain, heart and immune cells), creatine is vital for humans. Half of the required creatine is produced by the body itself; the rest has to be obtained from food (animal-based products or supplements).
Positive effects on muscle strength
Studies have shown that taking creatine in conjunction with moderate strength training is beneficial for muscle maintenance in old age. This was confirmed by the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) with a so-called Health Claim. This states that "the daily intake of 3 g creatine increases physical performance during high-speed strength training in the context of short-term intense physical activity."
Most importantly, there is evidence that creatine supplementation combined with strength training improves muscle mass maintenance and muscle strength in adults over 55 years of age.
At a glance
- Creatine in Heath and Disease, Kreider et al., 2021
- The Application of Creatine Supplementation in Medical Rehabilitation, Harmon et al., 2021
- Creatine Supplementaion and Brain Health, Roschel et al., 2021
- Effects of Creatine Supplementation on Brain Function and Health, Forbes et al., 2022
- Potential of Creatine in Glucose Management and Diabetes, Solis et al., 2021
- Does creatine supplementation improve glycemic control and insulin resitance in healthy and diabetic patients? A systematic review and meta-analysis, Delpino et al., 2022
- The Additive Effects of Creatine Supplementation and Exercise Training in an Aging Population: A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials, Stares et al, 2022
- Creatine supplementation for older adults: Focus on sarcopenia, osteoporosis, frailty and Cachexia, Candow et al., 2022
- Role of Creatine in the Heart: Health and Disease, Balestrino, 2021
- The Role of Creatine in the Development and Activation of Immune Responses, Bredahl et al., 2021
Here you can find furhter information about Creapure®