AlzChem Global
Agriculture
We go back a long way

History

We go back a long way.

Innovative since 1908.

 

1895

Dr. Adolph Frank and Dr. Nikodem Caro succeed in binding nitrogen from the air with calcium carbides (nitrogenation).

1901

Dr. Albert Frank recognizes the benefits of using calcium cyanamide as a fertilizer.

1908

Bayerische Stickstoffwerke AG (BStW) is founded, with head offices in Munich.

1908-1912

Construction of the Trostberg calcium carbide plant, the carbide plant in Schalchen, the works canal and two hydropower plants in Trostberg and Schalchen.

1915-1920

Construction of the plants at Piesteritz and Chorzow (Upper Silesia), and the carbide plant in Hart plus the hydropower plant at Hirten.

1920

Bayerische Kraftwerke AG is founded, with head offices in Berlin.

1939

Company renamed Süddeutsche Kalkstickstoff-Werke AG, with head offices at Trostberg.

starting 1945

Establishment of premium value-added product ranges in the metallurgy and NCN chemistry segments.

1968

The company moves into construction chemicals with the concrete plasticizer MELMENT®.

1971

Construction of the Muenchsmuenster petrochemical plant.

1974

The company goes international with production facilities at Bécancour/Quebec in Canada.

1978

Company’s name is changed to SKW Trostberg AG.

1981

Company moves into the nature products business with hop extraction.

1993

Sister plant at Piesteritz transfers back to SKW.

1995

SKW is listed on the stock market.

1995-1999

Acquisition of Sanofi Bio-lndustries S.A.Paris (SBI), Master Builders Technologies (MBT) and Goldschmidt AG. As a result of these mergers SKW expands its nature products, construction chemicals and performance chemistry segments.

2000

Merger of Degussa Hüls AG with SKW Trostberg AG to form the new Degussa AG.

2001

Founding of SKW Stahl Holding GmbH.

2002

Sale of SKW Piesteritz Holding GmbH. Inauguration of the Construction Chemicals Competence Center (German landscape architecture prize 2003) with a professorship at the Technical University Munich.

2005

RAG Group becomes new majority shareholder.

2006

Merger of the Alz sites at Trostberg, Schalchen, Hart and Waldkraiburg into AlzChem Holding GmbH. The Construction Chemicals segment is sold to BASF.

2009

bluO Fonds becomes new shareholder.

2011

Company changes its legal form to become AlzChem AG, concentrating heavily on the new markets of renewable energy, nutrition and the pharmaceutical industry.

2013 the shares are taken over by the bluO partners